Wow….and I was bitching LAST Saturday about slowness. There is so much going on in the area today that even the traffic is slow.
That’s okay, because I have found some very useful free applications to put on my laptop.
I was pretty disgusted when QuickBooks let me know that they will no longer let me e-mail invoices from my 2006 version….unless of course I upgrade. I think $159 is a bit much to be able to e-mail a couple of invoices per month. I just downloaded TurboCASH’s free accounting software and will give it a try this coming week. It lets me import all my QB data. I don’t know if I will be able to e-mail invoices, but if this program is any good, it will beat having to pay QB for upgrades.
I had a hard time finding things on my laptop at home so I also downloaded the free
Copernic desktop-search application.
Last, but not least, I downloaded the new Opera Portable. No installation required, it’s running off of my thumbdrive. It’s super fast. These are some of the features:
* Does not affect existing browsers – IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Google Chrome, etc.
* No traces left after exiting – files are overwritten, not just deleted
* Doesn’t make your USB drive tired – all code and data are stored in a temporary place on host computer
* Ability to create multiple profiles
* Easy to distribute and use, not limited to USB sticks or CDs
So far I’m really happy with Opera. I’ll try it out at home tonight.